Thread: Let me pay more to let my friends connect to me without owning Tabletop Simulator

Let me pay more to let my friends connect to me without owning Tabletop Simulator

I have a lot of friends whom I know would just love the games you can play on Tabletop Simulator, but they either don't have the money for it (I'm friends with a lot of broke-ass college students) or they don't think it's going to be as great as I'm telling them it will be.

For some, that's actually true - I've given out a ton of copies of this game and while a lot of people loved it, there were others that just didn't 'click' with it and it sits idle in their Steam library as money wasted. And damn is that ever frustrating.

I've given out more copies of this game than I can remember and I'm still running into problems where I want to play with someone but they don't own the game. And it got me thinking, if there were a way for me to pay more toward Berserk to let ANYONE with a DEMO version of the game connect to my games, that would be a wonderful solution.

Are their any other games on steam that work in this manner or would this be something Unique to Tabletop simulator ?

Thinking it through If you were the...lets call it "Host" in this new arrangement wouldn't every non paying player still need access to a copy of the game that was Somehow "Locked" if a Host Wasn't present. In effect the game would need to be free to download for everyone and anyone but playable only either as a host, a hosts guest or a bog standard payed up player.. and if a host can invite 7 other players to the table should the price of being a host be 8 times that of a standard player......or less ?

an interesting suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Are their any other games on steam that work in this manner or would this be something Unique to Tabletop simulator ?

Thinking it through If you were the...lets call it "Host" in this new arrangement wouldn't every non paying player still need access to a copy of the game that was Somehow "Locked" if a Host Wasn't present. In effect the game would need to be free to download for everyone and anyone but playable only either as a host, a hosts guest or a bog standard payed up player.. and if a host can invite 7 other players to the table should the price of being a host be 8 times that of a standard player......or less ?

Fantasy Grounds has this option, and yes it's expensive to become a 'superhost'. But in the case of Tabletop Simulator I'd gladly pay it.

I think it could work like buying a 'guest entry ticket' for your own account. So for example, if I have my own copy of TS, and bought myself two another 'guest-copies', so now any friend who has free client version downloaded (unusable in any other way) can (two simultaneously) connect to my host...

If you go down the route of free to download and pay to play then it would probably make sense to give some limited basic Demo access to the game as a taster of what its all about.

Deny the ability to import mods or create and save anything for the table but maybe give access to a couple of the default game options just to wet peoples appetite..... Say solitaire (to show how cards work) and .... The Sandbox(to show how models move in 3D space)

+1 for demo version. Its sometimes very hard to explain Tabletop Simulator awesomeness to sceptic friends

Alternatively, reduce the cost of the "4-pack" on Steam a bit. And make it work.

Demo verison sounds good.... it would be appriciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post

There are games (jackbox party packs) where only 1 person has to own the game then others can play along on their website with a special code that changes each game.

I have gotten registered only to support this suggestion. :-) A 'superhost' license will be very, very cool.

DJuego

I would also love to see this feature. Board gaming is a niche hobby and this would open it up. I simply cannot afford to buy a copy for everyone I might play with, but I'd gladly pay a considerable sum extra to be a superhost.

For precedeny, Spy Party has a similar feature.

Though if they are going to do that, it would be best to have it as an "upgrade DLC" so people who have already the game won't have to pay full price for it, only difference between superhost and TTS price.

I solved this issue by creating a Guest steam account. I then bought a TS license for it. When I want to play with a friend that does not have TS, I let him/her use the Guest account. Obviously you need to trust the friend that they won't change the password of the account and keep it for themselves. Once the friend is done using the account, I log in and change the password so that it remains used only with my permission. This solution works but it does require the friend ti install steam and then install TS. It would be really nice if TS had a pure web client which would not require downloading steam and TS (just having a license for it on steam).