Thread: Feature request: Asking the host for a seat

Feature request: Asking the host for a seat

Most people lock their games with a password quickly because there are too many trolls sitting down and starting to mess with the board. But id love to be able to watch people play games, so this is kind of a problem!

It would be great if the host could have the option to make seating a request to the host. When someone wants to sit at the table, the host gets a message asking whether that person can sit at the table. Maybe the host can even select the color of that person as they're sitting (for convenience's sake, since sometimes its easier to have the seat color match the in-game one).

Sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps not extremely necessary or a top priority feature but it would be quite nice to have that possibility.

You'd get trolls/spam bots spamming seating requests. You'd need to put a limit on seating requests, probably say once per hour. Also a host opt out on server creation or hide server from the public host list for those who really want a private game. Truthfully what would work better is just allowing hosts to set up a whitelist and/or including a more in-depth player by player permissions system.

I'm just a bit confused what this would do. Hosts don't have much more information to judge if they should allow a player a seat or not, so as long as they aren't named YoloSWAG420BlazeIt I'm not sure how you'd determine who to allow or not allow.

CrunchyFrog said

You'd get trolls/spam bots spamming seating requests. You'd need to put a limit on seating requests, probably say once per hour.
    I don't know, I think you could just ban the people that keep spamming seating requests. It's a bit annoying but it prevents the case where a you unwittingly refuse a non-troll's spot. (that's still annoying even if the wait time is 3-5 minutes)
    Truthfully what would work better is just allowing hosts to set up a whitelist and/or including a more in-depth player by player permissions system.
    I don't know about the whitelist and hidden games. You CAN create a room and have someone connect directly, so if you have a password that's basically the same thing: only the people you know will be able to come in.

That said a Friends list would help a lot. If you could set seats to be "for friends only" a lot of problems could go away.
    QQuixotic said

I'm just a bit confused what this would do. Hosts don't have much more information to judge if they should allow a player a seat or not, so as long as they aren't named YoloSWAG420BlazeIt I'm not sure how you'd determine who to allow or not allow.
    It's mostly so people can't sit down while you're finishing a game or round and start messing up stuff. It happens a lot to me that I'm playing a game and someone joins, but they get tired of waiting so they just start trolling. Here, they would wait and be allowed to sit when the time comes, but true trolls wouldn't have the patience to wait out till the end of a round/game to troll. It's not a foolproof system of course.

Related to that problem I'd like to see an option for the host to "block" certain players from interacting with the board (like disabling their cursor). Lots of people tend to play around with stuff when it's not their turn and while that generally isn't a problem, they'll often end up knocking stuff over, especially with larger games and the limited table size, much to the annoyance of others. Even if their intentions are generally not malicious it would be nice to just "time-out" some of these more twitchy players as a host.

It would also be useful during setup, because often multiple people will try to do the same thing when setting up (shuffling a deck, placing a card/pawn) and end up getting into each other's way. With a time-out feature the host could just lock everybody down until everything is set up.

This could be combined with your idea of requesting a seat in that people are blocked by default when joining a new game and must be "allowed to interact" by the host first.

DoctorBeard said

Related to that problem I'd like to see an option for the host to "block" certain players from interacting with the board (like disabling their cursor). Lots of people tend to play around with stuff when it's not their turn and while that generally isn't a problem, they'll often end up knocking stuff over, especially with larger games and the limited table size, much to the annoyance of others. Even if their intentions are generally not malicious it would be nice to just "time-out" some of these more twitchy players as a host.

It would also be useful during setup, because often multiple people will try to do the same thing when setting up (shuffling a deck, placing a card/pawn) and end up getting into each other's way. With a time-out feature the host could just lock everybody down until everything is set up.

This could be combined with your idea of requesting a seat in that people are blocked by default when joining a new game and must be "allowed to interact" by the host first.

Well you can already Ban people, which will kick them and not let them come back. It's true that that's permanent, but it's a pretty workable solution. Usually, when I have the right number of players, I just add a password, so that we don't get bothered mid-game. That's also probably your best bet.

The core issue here is not wanting to ban people for bad behavior, there are many users who you can ask to go into spectate till "so and so is done with....." and they will, the issue rest with how do you have control over users who would not listen otherwise unless they are sheep herded around, and then when you accept them they are still going to be an issue as there intent was never to listen to you in the first place.

These features impose extra restrictions on good players who have an honest desire to watch or play, add an extra task on the host to manage request taking their attention from helping the users who are currently playing, while not addressing the issue that there is a person who wants to ruin your game that you can ban permanently for ill intent.

jay_rab said
    The core issue here is not wanting to ban people for bad behavior, there are many users who you can ask to go into spectate till "so and so is done with....." and they will,

That has not always been my experience. While, yes, it does happen, these features are not really meant for them.

jay_rab said
    These features impose extra restrictions on good players who have an honest desire to watch or play,
    Not really. They just have to wait a bit when they've chosen their seat. If they're good players, they won't have any needs to touch anything while they are waiting. (note the waiting/spectating players can still chat and voip)
    jay_rab said
    add an extra task on the host to manage request taking their attention from helping the users who are currently playing,
    Yes that's true. but it's a very minor one. The way I'm picturing it is when somebody choose a seat, a popup appears and the host can click "allow" or close the message (and the host can let them sit down later on. Maybe there's a symbol next to their name with the color they want to take). Also, if the host wants to dedicate his attention to the current players, he can just set a password, that way he'll have all the peace of mind to focus on them.
    jay_rab said
    while not addressing the issue that there is a person who wants to ruin your game that you can ban permanently for ill intent.
    um, yes it does. It's not fool-proof: there can still be someone you allow to sit down that messes up your game. but if you are currently finishing a game, this feature protects you from the griefers while allowing good players to watch.

Besides, these features should be optional, so that you don't have to make people go through the extra hoop if you don't want them to. I would probably turn it on only after we've started playing.

I'd like this so I can allow people to join the game but be forced to wait until the round is over before I allow them in. Sometimes, I want a mic only game, so being able to ask someone if they have a mic before they join and start to move random decks around would be really useful.