Thread: Don't allow mods with Local Filename assets to be uploaded to the Workshop

Don't allow mods with Local Filename assets to be uploaded to the Workshop

There seems to be some confusion about the local filename feature and people think that when they upload to the workshop, it'll work the same for other people. If TTS stops them from doing so, this would prevent a lot of user error.
    Last edited by Knil; 08-07-2016 at 10:24 AM.

I think a warning should popup instead of outright banning. The game is very clear that local cannot be viewed by others. But it is very simple to load things locally during testing then not remember you didn't update it later. A warning would help, or a tool that highlighted custom items using local files.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStump View Post
    I think a warning should popup instead of outright banning. The game is very clear that local cannot be viewed by others. But it is very simple to load things locally during testing then not remember you didn't update it later. A warning would help, or a tool that highlighted custom items using local files.
    Considering the entire point of the workshop is to make things available to others, it should really just not allow it.

Not all objects uploaded to the workshop are for public consumption. Some are friends-only where you share things locally. People may all have the materials saved locally.

I can just imagine scenarios where you may want to upload something with a local custom file. And I don't agree with a fix to one problem if it might cause another. But I still agree that accidentally uploaded locals can potentially be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStump View Post
    I can just imagine scenarios where you may want to upload something with a local custom file.
    Agreed, I can picture such a scenario myself for the more cautious mod creators. Maybe just a pre-scan and then an 'Are you sure?' prompt.

Maybe just a pre-scan and then an 'Are you sure?' prompt.
    Agreed..... adding a step that reminds someone what the results of hosting Locally will be to other workshop users is the way to go.

Perhaps even going so far to list the items that are currently locally hosted as its more than possible this has happened without the person realising especially if the mod in question has been created over a long stretch of time.

However well intentioned, the moment you force this sort of ban globally your guaranteed to be giving someone out there a kick in the teeth who uses Local hosting.....whatever their reason may be to do so.

While we won't be blocking out people from uploading local files to the workshop, we have added an error message when loading such content in multiplayer or uploading to the workshop. (Update v7.7)

So this thread is considered complete. Thanks.