Thread: Linux crash on start up

Linux crash on start up

Hi,
    I have seen a few mentions of the game crashing on start up whilst using a Nvidia graphics card. According to `lspci`, I have:
    VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250].
    I'm using the proprietary 'fglrx' driver (I don't want to try the open source one as that breaks HDMI-out) on 64-bit Ubuntu.

The crash is the same as others have described. Excessive memory and CPU usage and it hangs on the loading screen.
    If there's any more info I can give you, just ask.

Thanks, Rowan.

Linux crash on start up

Thanks for the report! This is a problem that's being actively worked on and hopefully a fix will be out soon.

Linux crash on start up

QQuixotic said

Thanks for the report! This is a problem that's being actively worked on and hopefully a fix will be out soon.

Good to know. I was worried I was the only one using an ATI graphics card!

Linux crash on start up

I know you said you didn't want to use the open source drivers, but someone on the Steam forums has the same issue as you and using the open source ATI drivers, everything then seemed to run fine. He says it may be a bug regarding fglrx and not networking on linux.

Linux crash on start up

I'm using Nvidia proprietary drivers, but the Steam V1.2 update, released today, seems to have solved my issue.

Linux crash on start up

Kimi said

I know you said you didn't want to use the open source drivers, but someone on the Steam forums has the same issue as you and using the open source ATI drivers, everything then seemed to run fine. He says it may be a bug regarding fglrx and not networking on linux.

I did try again after the update that Ben mentioned below and unfortunately there's still a memory leak. I will get round to trying the open source drivers at some point (if I can find an easy way to switch between them).