Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We haven't forgotten about scripting! What do you guys want to see?

I would like to have the ability to change the background image with scripting as well.

Any chance we can get the ability to print messages to the center of the screen?

Just got another idea: I'd like an event function for when a player pings with tab, which has the parameters of the player who did it, and the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    As the title says we haven't forgotten about scripting expect to see improvement in the next patch (will take a bit longer than normal).

But we want to see what you guys are most needing so we can prioritize our efforts. Let us know what you need in this thread

Also if you run into documentation issue or need better explanations check out the new sticky: [url]http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/showthread.php?2693-Documentation-API-Issues[/url]
    I've been searching for these features, so if they are already added, please kindly point me in the right direction. I was not able to find them in the documentation or other mods:

* The ability to sort hands and a way to overload sorting functions. This could be expanded on to be a type of object that represents a player hand. I have seen clever use of scripting zones to get player hands as objects and then unpack them but looking for something easier.
    * Scripting zones as objects, so they would have guid's and we could address them
    * A position and rotation tool that we could place on the board like a ruler. Current method is trial and error or guessing from deck position
    * API for turns
    * Addressable snap points with getpos functions
    * Sounds
    Last edited by madcyborg2; 07-17-2016 at 02:09 PM.

I would like a way to set a scripting zone from an object, so that the zone follows it if/when it is moved, don't think you can currently do that.

Also, grids seem to show through buttons.

Admittedly these could just be me as I'm coming at this with no knowledge except the API documentation.

Edit: Apologies for noob suggestions - thank you to everyone who replied
    Last edited by Adeptus; 07-18-2016 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAshes View Post
    What about a object.Drop() which would cause the object to be dropped if any player is holding it. Currently, as far as I can tell, when a object is being held by a player its position cannot be changed and the player cannot be stopped from moving the object. Only when the player drops the object can a script act on it to, possibly, bring it back. A object.Drop() function could cause the object to be dropped and thus could be acted upon.
    really big +1 to this. This would help so much with enforcing rules in games.

Quote Originally Posted by Adeptus View Post
    I would like a way to set a scripting zone from an object, so that the zone follows it if/when it is moved, don't think you can currently do that.
    You can set the zone's location and rotation to the object's location and rotation, or something relative to it, in the update function.

FYI scripting zones are objects, have guids, can be spawned, moved, rotated, scaled, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by madcyborg2 View Post
    * The ability to sort hands...
    Sorting hands could be done by adding a description to the cards when it enters the hand and removed when dropped outside the hand. Then you can easily identify all cards in that hand for any actions such as sorting, shuffling, etc.

* Scripting zones as objects, so they would have guid's and we could address them
    I believe I saw in some other post that Scripting Zones already have GUIDs...they are just not displayed anywhere.

You can get them by getAllOBjects() and then eliminating the GUIDs that correspond to other known objects or (as far as I have been told) you get get them from the save file. However, agreed, it would be nice if this GUID was displayed in the GUI.

* A position and rotation tool that we could place on the board like a ruler. Current method is trial and error or guessing from deck position
    Although a position rotation tool would be nice, as a work around, you can create a ruler and protractor as custom objects.

Right clicking on a scripting zone with the scripting zone tool copies its GUID to clipboard.

+1 for object.getState()...I know there are work arounds but a getState() fuction would be nicer.

What about a global onDroppedInto event with fires any time an object gets dropped on top of another object. The event would identify the dropped item and the item that it was dropped on. This could greatly simplify play areas where scripts needs to be run when objects are dropped in an area. Typically one would use the object's onObjectDropped event but this means adding that to each object. In a 104 card deck that is a lot of script entries. If that script needs to change, it is a lot of rework. Yes, I realize that each one of those objects can call a Global function for handling the drop but still, if the signature of the call needs to change, it is a lot of rework. If the system had a onDroppedInto event then one could subscribe only to that event and then check if the dropped item is of the correct type.

onDropped is for applying to objects. onObjectDropped is used in global. So you can get every single item that is dropped, it returns the item as an object when it triggers saying who dropped it. You can then use onCollisionEnter to determine when two objects contact eachother (also a global script). Compare the object dropped with the collision to determine where something was dropped. Or, when the object is dropped, check the position of the dropping player's hand.

Check out the API in the knowledge database for more info on the default events available.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStump View Post
    onDropped is for applying to objects. onObjectDropped is used in global.
    Yes. I recently discovered that difference and it does make what I want to do easier but it is still not a onDroppedInto(). With the onObjectDropped() in Global, you know when an object was dropped but you still need to do a manual check to see where it was dropped to see if it was dropped on anything. The idea behind a onDroppedInto would be that you could set up player hand areas, hidden areas, scripting areas or even boards, decks, etc and when an object is dropped it would provide both the object being dropped and the object being dropped onto or into. This would make things like play area easier to implement because you could subscribe to the onDroppedInto event and then just check if the object being dropped into is the play area (which might be a play deck or a zone). Yes, there are work around currently but it would be easier with a onDroppedInto event.

Just because I am currently on it:

- Ability to Control Button Faces (already requested I think to be able to create Buttons with an image)
    - Ability to control the Button Size and Label Font size globally/independent from the Object it is placed on. At the moment apparently, if you use a big object, you also get a big button which cannot be made smaller. If you use a small object, the button label font cannot be made bigger than some size apparently... In my opinion, these sizes should be independent from the object and I should just be able to set fixed sizes

- Ability to use CTRL-A in a Coding/Script Window to copy all script parts of this object. As an alternative, just allow any external editor for cosing, for example Notepad++

Another thing that just came to mind:
    - Ability to split Card Decks is there with Deck.Cut() - but how about adding a divider value to it, like ".Cut(3)" to split the deck in three nearly similar parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Alatron View Post
    - Ability to use CTRL-A in a Coding/Script Window to copy all script parts of this object. As an alternative, just allow any external editor for cosing, for example Notepad++
    This function is already present. I click on the scripting windows, CTRL+A, then CTRL+C and finally CTRL+V in Notepad or Notepad++. Works fine for me. I'm using the Windows version.

What about:

Code:
    object.setPositionPathSmooth(path)
    where path is a table of position tables such as:

Code:
    local path = {{0,0,0}, {0,2,0}, {0,2,10}, {5,2,15}, {5,0,15}}
    This would basically execute a bunch of setPosition() calls back-to-back executing the next after the previous has finished. This would help navigate objects around player hand areas, hidden areas or scripting areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpion9x View Post
    Any chance we can get the ability to print messages to the center of the screen?
    +1 to this one, script access to the top center error message handling that fades out after a 6-8 seconds

What about having setLUAScript() replace the current script in the interpreter so that it can be use throughout the game. The current documentation says that it can only be used after an object is spawned. If use later, it has no effect.

How about the ability to place object in the 3D world that are attached to the viewer and not the world itself...so that when the viewer moves or rotates in the world, the objects say in the same spot relative to the viewers screen (not the world). Having this functionality would actually address at least one of the previously requested items (message in the centre of the screen) and others such as:

- To display a message in the center of the screen one would be able to create a button using the screen coordinates instead of world coordinates.
    - Users would be able to make menu strips similar to the ones on the left hand side of the TTS screen (i.e. Pick, Hidden Regions, Vector Draw, Point, etc) by adding buttons using screen coordinates.

One possible way to implement this would be to have a property on objects that determines if world coordinates or screen/viewer coordinates are being used. This way most of the position/rotation functions can remain as is, without modification, while still providing this functionality.

+1 on Right click on button triggering a different action... think of all of the " - Number + " combination counters in the Workshop that we've seen that could be seriously simplified if right clicking "Number" decreases value while left clicking increases value... I've had to do some pretty weird workarounds to get multiple actions to apply to a smaller set of buttons.

Others that would be great...
    1. setValue() for dice will not rotate dice to clicking player's current view while doing this through mousing over/hitting a numeric key works just fine... Some way of actually rotating dice to a player's perspective through scripting.
    2. Ability to set color of a button to RGB value (mentioned earlier)... everything looks awesome on screen with all the 3d models and then gets kind of marred with a bunch of white buttons
    3. Fix aspect ratio of text on button when going vertical... I've placed buttons on a 90 degree to the horizontal plane and text becomes compressed horizontally... this may be due the aspect ratio of the containing object (?)
    4. Keyboard triggers for scripts (even if some form of alt/ctrl form), global/mouseover on target object
    Last edited by Kragin; 07-26-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dig65 View Post
    Please add the ability to add script triggers to the right click menu on any object.

Buttons are a good script trigger for many use cases, but they force a visual item on to the object which might not be aesthetically or functionally best. Players are used to right clicking objects for virtually any other in-game action. So for both aesthetic and functional reasons, adding menu items to the right click menu is very valuable and unobtrusive.

Even if you have to group any object's triggers into a single, flat menu list (probably in the scripting section of the menu), it would be valuable. More control would be great, but not required.

I believe it's on the other lists as well.
    - It would be great if this were available for global scripts as well... right click the table then the globally exposed scripts could be seen

I'd like a Player.team read/write property.

Perhaps combining the scripting and hidden zones so you can use scripting on them? Add a setHiddenZone(string color, bool isReversed) type of function? That'd be super helpful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast