Thread: Special Character Rendering

Cool Special Character Rendering

In my workshop when certain object are clicked they toggle setup and/or action options via buttons. By toggling the buttons it means the user can display buttons for only the currently selected object which prevents screen cluttering (as opposed to showing buttons for all objects).

Some of my setup buttons (e.g. number of players) also act as an indicator of which selection is currently selected. Since there does not seem to be buttons for controlling the colour of buttons (at least not documented) I can not use this concept for indicating which option is selected. I tried to use formatting codes in the label like [ B ] and < B > to see if I can bold the selection but neither worked. As such I resorted to changing the label.

I found some nice arrow characters which render nicely on my Windows machine but I would be interested to know if they will render equally nice on other OS (such as Linux and Mac).

If there are any Linux or Mac users out there can you please run the enclosed SaveGame (provided in a ZIP so it could be attached). All it does is display a message to the Game Chat. I have also enclosed a snapshot of what the message should look like (the snapshot is not of TTS but it give the general ideal of what it looks like on Windows). Please let me know what it looks like on Linux or Mac.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

I thought it was part of the font set, and I thought it was universal to Mac and that most Linus distros had it. Maybe not. Interested to see somebody try it.

You can print the standard Unicode set with Lua with "\uxxxx" where xxxx is the Unicode for the character. There are a lot of arrows and such in the standard Unicode set [url]http://timtrott.co.uk/html-character-codes/[/url] (look in the "CSS" column)

Quote Originally Posted by dig65 View Post
    You can print the standard Unicode set with Lua with "\uxxxx" where xxxx is the Unicode for the character. There are a lot of arrows and such in the standard Unicode set [url]http://timtrott.co.uk/html-character-codes/[/url] (look in the "CSS" column)
    Thank you for the information...hmm...another thing that needs to be added to the documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStump View Post
    I thought it was part of the font set, and I thought it was universal to Mac and that most Linus distros had it. Maybe not. Interested to see somebody try it.
    In theory, I believe, these are supposed to be defined universally and thus should render same on all OSes. However, a while back I created my own version of a 2D TTS and did some plugins for RPTools (a 2D TTS geared to RPG) and found out that some of the OSes (or maybe some browsers) did not render all the characters correctly. The problem, especially with web browsers, is that none are 100% compliant to the full set of HTML specs. Each has its own kinks or tweaks which is also why it is difficult to make web pages which are rendered equally on all browsers.