Thread: Players' game freezes, host's game continues just fine

Players' game freezes, host's game continues just fine

I have been having the exact issue described [url=http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/showthread.php?2463-Game-Randomly-Not-Responding]here[/url]. I play a game weekly with 4~6 players. Periodically throughout play, everyone but the host will stop being able to see any updates on the game. According to the host's screen, they move objects and draw just fine. According to everyone else's screen, nothing moves and nothing is drawn. The MP3 music also stops playing. Players reconnecting fixes it temporarily.

The problem starts randomly on its own, but it almost always starts when there's a really big movement or a complicated physics interaction. Grabbing 10 index cards and giving them a shake before putting them in a bag, or flicking a coin at nine million miles an hour.

I was using windows 7 when I noticed this problem. I've since moved to a highish end PC with windows 10 and continue to notice this problem. It's very frustrating for my group of players.

Another note, it seems that the more scripted stuff I have on the table, the easier it is to trigger the problem. When I put all the scripted stuff in bags/delete them, the problem becomes more manageable. It's also significant to note that this problem doesn't exist nearly as badly with only 2~3 players. We'd need to spawn and shake hundreds of dice/etc to reproduce it. With 4~6 though, it happens every 2~30 minutes.

I've had some connection problems in the past but I doubt it's the culprit. Pingtest rates between A and B.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Get 4~6 players together, and a host. Pings range between 20~200. Computer specs range between burn-your-house-down-caliber-PC and toaster laptop.
    2) Put some scripted stuff on the table. Basic character sheets, etc. Set up a D&D game or something along those lines.
    3) Grab ten dice and give them a shake and a throw. Have other players give it a shot.

4) Ask other players if they can move objects or draw on the table. The host should see them moving and drawing things, but their screen will show nothing's changed.

Additional information or the save can be provided at request. I can also take a video this Saturday when we meet again.

Sounds like the host is being overwhelmed with it's bandwidth usage and can't catch up. What kind of upload speed does the host have?

I'm running into a situation just like this. When I'm in my friends game as time goes on my latency between actions starts going up and up to the point where I can't even interact with the board. I have to quit and rejoin to reset it. Nothing has changes with either of our equipment or internet connections and we had no issues before. I seem to be one of the only people this effects. And I can play just fine on other tables.
    Last edited by D3N13D; 08-13-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    Sounds like the host is being overwhelmed with it's bandwidth usage and can't catch up. What kind of upload speed does the host have?
    [url=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5544492038]66 download, 6 upload.[/url] I don't run much of anything significant besides steam's group chat VOIP and TTS. Surely that's not that taxing is it? Should I look into upping my service?

Quote Originally Posted by D3N13D View Post
    I'm running into a situation just like this. When I'm in my friends game as time goes on my latency between actions starts going up and up to the point where I can't even interact with the board. I have to quit and rejoin to reset it. Nothing has changes with either of our equipment or internet connections and we had no issues before. I seem to be one of the only people this effects. And I can play just fine on other tables.
    Is there anything I can upload or other information I can provide to the devs to try and get this sorted? I would really enjoy playing on my friends table again.

So this is a new issue after we released patch v7.8? Playing the exact same games with the same number of people before had no lag problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    So this is a new issue after we released patch v7.8? Playing the exact same games with the same number of people before had no lag problems?
    To me this happened on the 10th. Out of nowhere again with no changes to game, users hardwear, or ISP this happened. I will give a total breakdown of what happens.

I join the game and all is well after anywhere between 10 min to 1 hr everything starts slowing up..reaction times between moving objects and them actually following through with the action starts to increase. Voice chat starts to become garbled and eventually everything starts to lock up all together. This effects ONLY MYSELF everyone else on the server is playing normally. After a while it becomes unplayable. A disconnect and reconnect will fix this. But now the rate at which this issue occurs happens faster and faster until even connecting and reconnecting is pointless.

I have played on other tables for hours on end with no issues. it's almost more like packet loss. Playing on proxy or port-forwarding does not fix the issue.

I have wiped the game and reinstalled the game.

It may be a memory leak that eventually consumes all system memory and then your system starts putting everything in the page file. This will slow a machine down to a snail's pace if it has to access the page file for every operation.

Quote Originally Posted by dizneyguy View Post
    It may be a memory leak that eventually consumes all system memory and then your system starts putting everything in the page file. This will slow a machine down to a snail's pace if it has to access the page file for every operation.
    I've thought about that....but I've watched my memory cpu ssd etc. while I've been in his game everything is pretty normal.. Plus why would it only happen on HIS host and no one elses.

Quote Originally Posted by D3N13D View Post
    I've thought about that....but I've watched my memory cpu ssd etc. while I've been in his game everything is pretty normal.. Plus why would it only happen on HIS host and no one elses.

So after a lot of experimentation tabletop is causing me to gain a LOT of packet loss....

Hello,

I'm running on a Windows 10 with the version 7.10 and i have the exactly same problem. This bug is here not only where there is a lot of people. Even when we're just at 3, it does.

I noticed also Something:
    This bug is realizes when lots of objects are downloading. For example, in the begining of a blackjack game with a lot of people. Or also, in the loading of a new game you haven't tryed out before.

Does someone have a solution to this?

For the moment i'm reinstalling tabletop simulator to check if my file of TTS aren't corrupted.