Thread: Custom Square Table reflects wrong background

Custom Square Table reflects wrong background

The Custom Square table has glancing table edges and table legs, that reflect the background.

However, when you use a Custom background, the table still reflects the original background!

For example, you choose the Forest background, and you can see the reflection of the forest and the road in the edges and the legs. Then, you enter a custom background portraying, say, stars. The background now has stars, but the table's edges and legs still reflect the forest.

Not a bug as such this one . . . Just the way these Background images work.

The in game Backgrounds Are HDR Images which is a little more complicated than a standard Picture.

Some Basics for reference.

[url]http://www.idigitalphoto.com/high-dynamic-range-photography-explained/[/url]

At its simplest these images come with all the light and shadow information contained in the scene as well as the image itself all as separate layers.

As the image your adding does not have this extra info it has to retain the data from the image its replacing to keep the rooms lighting effects..

what you're seeing in these reflection are these extra layers of the HDR and can not be avoided with the current system of custom backgrounds .

I consider it, as is, sort of a bug. I mean the names are unreadable on the table's edge if you have a light skybox, which many of them are. The reflection properties themselves aren't a bad idea, but it is far too shiny to actually use that table.

Looking through the workshop, I almost never see the table being used. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is for that very reason. I've used it once and had to give it the darkest default background to make it usable.

Thanks for the explanation, Lucky seven. That does make sense, but the "solution" of using one of the default backgrounds is far from elegant.

It would be nice if, when using a custom background, a fixed color could be entered for the reflection, or maybe the average color of the background image being used.

An alternative solution would be adding a default background that is dark and has little to no detail to it.

I don't disagree that it throws up some issues when your dealing with highly reflective surfaces.

Its caught me out a couple of times myself

According to the big Cheese the difficulty is in the time it takes to render in these changes to lighting in Runtime so a completely custom approach is still probably off the table at the moment.

[url]http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/showthread.php?1177-Image-based-lighting&highlight=custom+baCKGROUNDS[/url]

But Having a few more Non descript Backgrounds to choose from would certainly be a nice addition

I consider it, as is, sort of a bug. I mean the names are unreadable on the table's edge if you have a light skybox, which many of them are. The reflection properties themselves aren't a bad idea, but it is far too shiny to actually use that table.

Looking through the workshop, I almost never see the table being used. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is for that very reason. I've used it once and had to give it the darkest default background to make it usable.
    I think the Bug presented was more about the Mismatch visible between any custom background and the images you can see in the reflections of the In game background it overlaying.

But yeah highly reflective surfaces can present a bit of an issue in game at the best of times . . . Not really sure what the answer is to this one. As making changes generally to material properties or in game lighting to compensate for this "Glare" will probably have equally annoying knock on effects elsewhere.