Thread: can we have a detailed breakdown of how tts treats mod asset files - local v cloud?

can we have a detailed breakdown of how tts treats mod asset files - local v cloud?

hi,

so i've just finished fixing my mods for Hordes of the Things and DeBellis Antiquitatis and it was an extremely frustrating endeavor because it's hard to know where files live and when links change and such...

ideally, there would be like a directory list showing what all the assets are and where TTS is currently looking for these assets and the ability to change this directory of where it is looking for it... but failing that, it would be nice to just have some solid documentation on where tts looks for files.

this is just one example but hopefully, someone who has designed the system could weigh in on all the relevant, connected issue but for example:

- if i subscribe to a steam mod and then open up that mod in TTS and play around with it for a bit and then i close TTS and then i open that mod again, will it be looking for the assets in a local folder? or will it try to access the assets from the cloud again? if it's the second, we should definitely have the option NOT to do that... that once downloaded, a mod will look for all assets in the downloaded local folder first... and then have an option to explicitly update a mod if desired. but having tts always look for all assets on the cloud, which i get the impression it does, not only is that wasteful but it leaves all "downloaded" mods in a completely precarious state where if a link is removed or destroyed at some future point, the download that i thought i had is no longer functioning.

something like the TTS MOD BACKUP TOOL which is a lifesaver, should not be necessary. TTS should be explicit enough so that users can see and determine where asset files live, where they're downloaded to, and to redirect TTS if necessary.

tts is a fantastic app but trying to keep all the directory operations obfuscated from the users makes it bad for people who want to know where their stuff is.

it would be ideal to have explicit directory ops in future updates and make it an option so that it can be obfuscated for people who don't want to deal with such things. but the option to see and know would be great.

failing that, please please please make a knowledge base entry about where and how mod files are used.

thanks.

jin

- if i subscribe to a steam mod and then open up that mod in TTS and play around with it for a bit and then i close TTS and then i open that mod again, will it be looking for the assets in a local folder? or will it try to access the assets from the cloud again? if it's the second, we should definitely have the option NOT to do that... that once downloaded, a mod will look for all assets in the downloaded local folder first... and then have an option to explicitly update a mod if desired. but having tts always look for all assets on the cloud, which i get the impression it does, not only is that wasteful but it leaves all "downloaded" mods in a completely precarious state where if a link is removed or destroyed at some future point, the download that i thought i had is no longer functioning.
    Your Game has a Mod folder that acts as local storage for anything you can see on the table top.

As long as you have Mod Caching checked In the configuration menu anything that spawns onto the table from an online Source is copied into the cache. and when ever you spawn anything at all TTS will First look in the cache before attempting to draw it from its online location...