Thread: Heavy Memory Usage, Frame Rate Drops, Crashes

Heavy Memory Usage, Frame Rate Drops, Crashes

I thought I was having problems with my initial laptop and having a technical issue with the power supply shorting out. I loaded up my previous laptop and I'm still have issues. Just sitting at the menu is using over 650,000 kb, when I try to load something, its more like 2 million (95% of my memory).

When I got it to load on my other computer, there was a lot of stuttering. This just started happening right out of the blue. Did the hotfix 3 have something to do with this? It's pretty much unplayable at the moment.

I uninstalled and reinstalled. This was particuarly time consuming since I have slow internet and it took 4 hours to download. Didn't fix anything

I have done as much computer maintenance on my end as is possible.

- full virus scans with 2 anti-virus software
    - checked for disk defragmentation
    - ran memtest86+
    - updated computer
    - removed spyware
    - updated graphics card
    - tested graphics card
    - tweaked settings on graphics card
    - lowered TTS settings to low and shadows to very low
    - Capped frame rate
    - removed all unused programs
    - disabled startup programs not being used

As I am having problems on two separate laptops, my gaming laptop has 12GB memory and should play fine but it is freezing for a whole second, every 2-3 seconds, and sometimes longer with a spinning loading wheel appearing

Memory usage on my gaming laptop hovers around 4Gb and 73% of memory

The lag is unbearable, really hoping for an answer soon.

Can someone please tell me why TTS uses 3.6 of my 3.8 GB of ram? I have tried in both windows 7 and ubuntu. 2GB ram is the minimum requirement. I appreciate there are very support staff, so if anyone has a theory or something I can try , I am all ears. I deleted all but a few saves. I unsubscribed from all but a few mods. I'm just sitting in a room with a table and it can't even run that.

Have you tried verifying the game on Steam? Maybe you have a corrupt file.

Quote Originally Posted by Knil View Post
    Have you tried verifying the game on Steam? Maybe you have a corrupt file.
    Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of anything like this. HOw does that work? I uninstalled and reinstalled, surely that would verify it?

In the steam client, right click on the game in your library list, select properties from the dropdown list, then in the Local files tab select Verify integrity of game cache.

This way you've at least ruled it out.

Yes. Verified. Luckily I figured the problem on my gaming laptop, the power jack was going out so changing over to battery power was causing the lag. But now that computer is in teh shop for who knows how long. And I'm still having the issue that I can't run TTS on this laptop despite having 4 GB memory and it won't run on either windows or ubuntu. Just clicking singleplayer greys the screen out for a bit until it works. And forget doing anything in game. It will load but with huge lag spikes. I tried changing the swappiness value and that didn't do anything either.

What I really don't understand is this laptop played fine a few months ago.

Is the hardrive going bad on it maybe? Does it take a long time to load? Have you tried leaving it?

Problem solved. Bought a new laptop