Thread: I got to make an OFFICIAL mod for American McGee!

I got to make an OFFICIAL mod for American McGee!

American McGee, creator of Alice and Alice:Madness Returns, recently had a Kickstarter for a card game he's making, Out of the Woods. The Kickstarter was funded, and artwork is on the way.

The cool part here is that I jokingly asked if I could make a Tabletop Simulator mod for it, and he non-jokingly said YES! I've put together a prototype gameplay mod that I just got approval to take live. He's interested in gameplay feedback, and I may have a few questions here on how to tweak things with the mod for the purpose of gameplay.

Check it out, and feel free to leave feedback here as well. ^_^ I can send things to American as needed.
    [url]https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1105783940[/url]

EDIT: First question, is there a way to hide the number of cards in the player's hand? I figured I could use Hidden Zones over the Hand Zones, but they stand out as you can't further change the Hidden Zone visibility. Since they're being used for keeping number of cards a secret, the Hidden Zones themselves don't really need to be seen. Is there a better, cleaner looking way to do it?
    Last edited by MarcusRaven; 09-04-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Just goes to show how amenable most independent game designers can be. Good for you MarcusRaven its great to see these sort of Mods Make it to the Workshop.

Quickly looking at it Why do the number of Cards in a players hand matter ? That is in real life wouldn't your opponent know how many cards you had by the amount you initially and subsequently draw ?

As it stands short of using a hidden Zone in combination with a hand Zone you don't have many good options. to completely hide your cards from view.

As to suggestions to the mod itself, top of my head adding a basic shuffling script would be a good and simple addition to allow you to remove the randomize zone from over the deck.

And some form or demarcation to indicate the position of the Discard pile perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Just goes to show how amenable most independent game designers can be. Good for you MarcusRaven its great to see these sort of Mods Make it to the Workshop.

Quickly looking at it Why do the number of Cards in a players hand matter ? That is in real life wouldn't your opponent know how many cards you had by the amount you initially and subsequently draw ?

As it stands short of using a hidden Zone in combination with a hand Zone you don't have many good options. to completely hide your cards from view.

As to suggestions to the mod itself, top of my head adding a basic shuffling script would be a good and simple addition to allow you to remove the randomize zone from over the deck.

And some form or demarcation to indicate the position of the Discard pile perhaps.
    Well, per American, he says being able to hide your number of cards allows for a more tactical, cutthroat approach to play. Since the goal is to get rid of all your cards first to get "Out of the Woods," keeping how many cards in your hand a secret can throw off the strategy of other players. Especially if you don't pay attention to who's drawn what.

Also, found a shuffle script. Thank you for the suggestion. ^_^
    Last edited by MarcusRaven; 09-04-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Perhaps you could approach this in a different manner and instead of trying to hide the cards, you could add in some dummy cards to the players hands to make it harder for the opponents to keep track, so the face side would be blank and the rear has the normal card back to it so the Dummy cards would look the same to the opposing players when in a hand.

Bit of a left field idea but I used something like that in Scythe so the player can Bid a Dummy card to help keep the other players guessing. during the games combat phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky seven View Post
    Perhaps you could approach this in a different manner and instead of trying to hide the cards, you could add in some dummy cards to the players hands to make it harder for the opponents to keep track, so the face side would be blank and the rear has the normal card back to it so the Dummy cards would look the same to the opposing players when in a hand.

Bit of a left field idea but I used something like that in Scythe so the player can Bid a Dummy card to help keep the other players guessing. during the games combat phase.
    The current form of gameplay is pretty reliant on a particular card count, so dummy cards may not be the best solution. Shot in the dark idea, since I'm not sure how this would work: Is there a way to script the hidden zone function to target a hand zone? Or something along those lines so I wouldn't need to create overlapping things?