Thread: detailed description of TTS units

detailed description of TTS units

Is there a doc that describes the meaning and ranges of each of the values an object uses?

I have found that when I sit at a game as white (single player) a position {x, y, z}, means x "somethings" to my right, y "somethings" away from me, and z "somethings" up from an origin at the center of the table. I haven't been able to begin to figure out what "something" means. It does seem that my table is about 16 somethings square.

Similarly, I have deduced that rotations are in degrees and that they rotate around corresponding axes, but I am not yet really clear about which axis is used...

Scales are even harder to figure. I have a tile with a scale of 15, 5, 2. By looking at it, I can see that its x is NOT three times more than its y, nor is its z 2/5 of its y.

When I put a button on this object I say that the button is 700 x 500. The 500 looks to be about 35% of the y value on my tile, and the 700 does appear consistent with my button width.

I can see that the button position uses coordinates relative to the center of volume of the tile, and the button position vector {1.5, 0.2, 0} moves the button a little more than its width in the x direction.

I would like to know what all these numbers REALLY mean!

When measuring a table, it is in "Unity units" which, while similar to inches, can just be thought of as a new, fun measuring unit. If you are facing the default directions, you are correct, x is usually right, -1 is left, z is towards the bottom edge of the table, -z is towards the top edge, y is towards the sky, -y is towards the center of the earth.

Rotation works off those units as well. Imagine drawing a line in the directions for the unit (x, y or z). So for x, it would be a line running from the distant left to the distant right. Now pretend that is the axle which your object rotates around. So assuming your object was also facing the default directions, rotating it on the X axis tilts it forward/back, rotating on the y axis spins it like a record, rotating on the z axis makes it tilt left/right.

Scale is a multiplier rather than a unit. A scale of 2 is 2x as large (you scale x/y/z separately, so a scale of 1,1,1 would make an object stretch left and right to be 2x as long that way). A scale of 0.5 is 1/2 as large.

Button sizes are based off of built-in UI element sizes and is not directly related to unity units in any way I have ever worked out. If you have a scale of 1,1,1, then the 700x700 will be a perfect square. But if you changed your button scale to be 1,1,2, now it would be 2x as wide as it is tall even though it is still 700x700. With buttons, you generally want any height/width/font of the button to be a MINIMUM OF 100 and font size caps out at 1000. Hight/width over 1000 is fine. That is your general range. It is a good idea to never use scale unless your hight/width/fontsize is falling outside of that range.

As for button position, it is based off of the object's scale as well as some innate size property based on object type. Generally, trial and error is how you place objects. If you use a tool to do it (like I did with the Character Sheet Template) then, IF NEEDED, you can multiple the vector values by a factor and the scale of the object to solve for this.