Thread: Lack of Textures on TTS 10.0 on Steam/Ubuntu 17.10 64-bit

[SOLVED] Lack of Textures on TTS 10.0 on Steam/Ubuntu 17.10 64-bit

I recently installed TTS 10.0 via Steam on my Ubuntu 17.10 64-bit box (i7-3630QM, 8 GB DDR3 1600, Intel HD Graphics 4000), and I can't get any textures, even on the default games that come with the program. I just have black objects on a black table. The attached image is supposed to be checkers.

I've tried toggling threading, caching, played with graphics settings, and reinstalled Steam and TTS, but no change. My drivers are all up-to-date.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

tts-checkers.jpg

EDIT: Fixed problem by getting optimized Intel drivers at [url]https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers[/url]
    Last edited by wpwatson; 12-17-2017 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I fixed my problem

I guess this means you guys have no idea how to fix your buggy game. I've spent weeks trying to get this thing to work, with no success. What a waste of money.

Hi wpwatson

Sorry you feel this way Rest assured it'll probably be something the devs look into since there is also another report of the same issue...
    Regards
    Abarden

Try -force-opengl or -force-gfx-st as launch options.

Knil,

I tried both options and neither one works.

What next?

Maybe this will help. When I launch TTS within Steam, I get this message printing to the console:

Player data archive not found at `/home/wpwatson/.steam/steamapps/common/Tabletop Simulator/Tabletop Simulator_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem
    Last edited by wpwatson; 12-04-2017 at 11:13 PM.

From /home/wpwatson/.config/unity3d/Berserk Games/Tabletop Simulator/Player.log:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/wpwatson/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/wpwatson/.lo' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
    Last edited by wpwatson; 12-04-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Try to disable the steam overlay.

How do I do that?

Disabling the overlay didn't work, even when I combined it with the launch options -force-opengl or -force-gfx-st.

Still seeing the following errors:

Console
    Player data archive not found at `/home/wpwatson/.steam/steamapps/common/Tabletop Simulator/Tabletop Simulator_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

Player.log
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/wpwatson/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
    Shader 'Nature/Terrain/Diffuse': dependency 'Details0' shader 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/Vertexlit' not found
    Shader 'Nature/Terrain/Diffuse': dependency 'Details2' shader 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/BillboardWavingDoublePass' not found

And Knil, would it have killed you to have written "Try to disable the steam overlay by going to Steam > Settings > In-Game > Uncheck the overlay box" so I wouldn't have to waste more time trying to look up what you meant? I got TTS to play tabletop games, not participate in some alternate reality game where I try to decode your terse, borderline-unhelpful clues in order to solve the puzzle of why your software won't work properly.

Not that posting this info here will do any good, but it's a convenient place to put things for reference later:

wpwatson@lappy:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.2
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.20
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.2
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 17.2.2
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:

Well, I finally fixed my problem. No thanks to Berserk, of course.

There is a ppa with updated FOSS graphics drivers for Ubuntu at [url]https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers[/url] . Adding the ppa to my sources.list and then updating ("sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get upgrade") solved the problem. You can see that the Mesa driver has been updated from 17.2.2 to 17.4.0-devel.

wpwatson@lappy:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.4.0-devel
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.20
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.4.0-devel
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 17.4.0-devel
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:

You're welcome, Berserk.

Thanks for letting us know. It's always good to check if drivers need to be updated as that is something out of our control. I'm very glad it's working for you now though, happy holidays!

It's not as simple as updating the drivers -- I was already using the most recent stable driver.

In this case I had to switch from the stable driver to the developmental driver, which is not a normal thing to do, and not a normal thing for you to assume users will automatically do. I thought a developer would recognize the difference between the two types of drivers, but I guess not.

In the future, I hope you remember to suggest this solution for other affected Linux users with Intel graphics, instead of just leaving us hanging.
    Last edited by wpwatson; 12-19-2017 at 11:44 PM.

FYI: Thanks for sharing. Tried this but it didn't work on the laptop I was trying to fix. I am guessing it is because it has a different hardware component and drivers. Anyhow, here is some info on the laptop just for information purposes in case someone wants to try this with a similar setup.

The Acer Aspire 4920 laptop, with 4GB DDR2 Memory RAM (2 x 2GB) uses Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 graphics processor. The driver says its Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 with the ff. info:

Display Server: X. Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev, vesa)
    Resolution: 1280x800@60.00hz
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM
    GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.8
    Direct Rendering: Yes

This is the log info I got when trying to run Tabletop Simulator in Steam with "-log -force-opengl and -force-gfx-st" before trying this solution:

Code:
    Desktop is 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz
    Unable to find a supported OpenGL core profile
    Failed to create valid graphics context: please ensure you meet the minimum requirements
    E.g. OpenGL core profile 3.2 or later for OpenGL Core renderer
    [Vulkan init] extensions: count=1
    [Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_EXT_debug_report, enabled=0
    Vulkan error VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER (-9) file: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/GfxDevice/vulkan/VKContext.cpp, line: 279
    Vulkan detection: 0
    No supported renderers found, exiting

(Filename:  Line: 531)
    After installing the PPA drivers, I tried to even install Wine+Gallium as suggested but it didn't went well. The OS lost its desktop icons and I wasn't able to access the Terminal. But Tabletop Simulator ran, albeit really slow, under Recovery Mode up until the Main Menu screen. Creating/joining games hangs the system. Thus, I've tried uninstalling the PPA drivers and reverting to the previous system but it wreaked the Linux Mint OS and cannot boot up successfully. Now, I will just have to reinstall it.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, and I'm sorry what worked for me isn't working for you.

The "-log -force-opengl and -force-gfx-st" really don't seem to be doing much.

It still looks like you have some sort of driver issue. The Mesa 17.2.8 should be working for you, but for some reason it isn't. The error about the Vulkan driver may be a clue, though. Try these alternate Vulkan drivers at [url]https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/[/url] .

Let me know how it goes. Also, try looking through the forums for other games that use the Unity engine and see what other Linux users are doing if their graphics are wonky. That's what helped me solve my issue, since Berserk is pretty clueless about Linux. Good luck!

I have Acer Aspire ES1 111m C1EY 4gb ram with Ubuntu 16.04,i have same problem.But adding repo from oibaf and Padoka and updating system,doesnt changed.How to fix this bug?
    Last edited by Domrist; 07-08-2018 at 10:20 PM.