Thread: Shift from cloud to local storage for mods

Shift from cloud to local storage for mods

I'm suggesting that the mod setup be shifted from cloud to local storage. I understand that it would require individuals to have the same mods downloaded to avoid disruption but with steam allowing for collections, this is not an issue. Most games behave this way. You can add the mods you want to a steam collection and someone wanting to play with you can simply click the "Subscribe to All" button. Shifting to local storage also reduces the issues with content becoming randomly unavailable due to reliance on 3rd party hosting.

Organization-wise, mods should be stored in their own sub-folders with each containing their own "Images", "Models", and "Asset Bundles"... the way 99% of the rest of the games handle it.

This all allows for longevity of content since it would be hosted by steam and then downloaded to each individual machine. Continuing to process mods as is will cause a tremendous amount of problems and headaches for the end-user down the road.

A sort of representation of what I'm proposing:
    Code:
    > Tabletop Simulator
        > Mods
            > My Custom Mod
                > Asset Bundles
                > Images
                > Models

One reason they might not want to do that is to be able to remove mods if they have publishers coming to their door complaining about their license being on their platform

Quote Originally Posted by Styles2304 View Post
    Organization-wise, mods should be stored in their own sub-folders with each containing their own "Images", "Models", and "Asset Bundles"... the way 99% of the rest of the games handle it.
    Having all the mod files in a single directory is hell. I often clean my temp folder and see 50-80 thousand files in a single directory. That can not be good and I suspect 90% of uses will never clean the folders.

Still, once you download the mod it is entirely local. So even if it is taken form the workshop or all the links go dead it will still run perfectly fine on your local system. There is an app called TTSbackup that you can find at NEXUS (there is a link stickied here [url=http://www.berserk-games.com/forums/showthread.php?1362-TTS-Mod-Backup-tool]@This Fourm[/url])

This tool allows you to select any mod and download all the content associated with it to your TTS temp folder.. effectively making it 100% local. Then you cna even back that up into a archive file to save somewhere. All my fav mods I back up and store on GoogleDrive for example. If they ever go dead, I can just download the backup, and use the tool to unpack it back into my TTS dir, and now it is 100% local so will run.. this file can be shared with others as well.

The tool can also do this for save files.

I tend to run this tool all the time, even when not doing backups. As it will localise all content which makes taking thigns out of bags and other actions while playing a lot faster as it will never need to download anything.,

Yes... I understand how the back up works. It's still a horribly inefficient and impractical way of handling modding. It just doesn't make sense to have everything depending on multiple third parties to function. This program is only going to survive by fostering a healthy modding community so it might be a good idea to focus on this aspect instead of promoting yet another 3rd party fix (the backup tool).

Further, if a mod's resources ARE removed, most likely due to neglect, there's practically no way to identify the resources in the mods folder since they're just random collections of URLs.

Well, I hear what you are saying.. but I do not really understand it...

The mods are stored locally is what I was trying to say. The files are just uploaded to the internet for download.. it is basically just an automation of downloading. Once downloaded all the files are completely local. You do not even need internet connections to play. The download feature in TTS just automates the download process.

If you want to keep your mods stored and offline the TTS Mod is how.. that is basically turning the modding to exactly how say Skyrim Nexus works.. as in your have a Mod File that you manually install into TTS. Again, all local, no internet connection needed. So just like many other modding systems out there you download the entire mod, then install it in the game directory and then play.

Also with TTSBackup you can see all the files in the mod, ad they are green or red, so you can find the exact url that is not downloading and then fix the mod if you need.

So..
    • Mods are stored locally, after download you do not need a internet connection in anyway.
    • It is the mod makers not TTS that uses multiple hosting sites in a single mod. If the mod has them split the source files to different hosts then this is due to the mod maker choosing to do that. The multipul host thing is just an ease of use, all modders have different preferences (I prefer google drive).
    • You can look at a mod and work out exactly what links are not working using TTSBackup
    • You can use TTS Backup to make complacently functional mod "packs" that you just download and install into the mod directory like 99% of all other modifiable games. That require not online hosting at all (apart form the pack you can send to your mates)

I'm just not exactly sure what you mean I guess.

Also there is a one click button to upload a mod (no matter how you got it installed) to the workshop. So any mod you like you can save to your own workshop and all the associated files are also saved. The cool thing is that anyone joining you game with that file loaded will be able to automatically download the images form your workshop.
    Last edited by Tragic; 04-05-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Ok follow with me.
    As is, assets of the mod are uploaded to multiple hosting sites... (paste bin, imgur, etc.) and a master file with each of their locations is uploaded to the workshop. Steam is hosting nothing. When you download the mod, it just dumps all of the assets individually into a few folders. There's no mod integrity. This also creates unnecessary dependencies on multiple companies. Horribly inefficient.

What I'm suggesting is uploading the entirety of the mod to the workshop (or anywhere for that matter), not just a reference file to point to assets on other hosting sites. In addition, organizing the mod itself so that it has it's own unique folder with the entire asset folder structure inside... So again:

Code:
    > Tabletop Simulator
        > Mods
            > My Custom Mod
                > Asset Bundles
                > Images
                > Models
    This would allow for a common sense naming scheme in assets instead of everything being a URL, more clearly defined dependencies on other mods, and an ease of hosting. Why is this confusing? The method I'm proposing is the way virtually ALL other games handle their mods. Even allowing the organization in such a way would allow us to use websites like nexus mods for example. This is simple stuff.

Well, I doubt you will see any movement on this issue, though maybe splitting the cache dir into mod names may happen, but I doubt it. The system is actually very robust and falls in the don't fix what is not broken thing.. particularly when there are many other improvements fixes and features that can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Styles2304 View Post
    Ok follow with me.
    As is, assets of the mod are uploaded to multiple hosting sites... (paste bin, imgur, etc.) and a master file with each of their locations is uploaded to the workshop. Steam is hosting nothing. When you download the mod, it just dumps all of the assets individually into a few folders. There's no mod integrity. This also creates unnecessary dependencies on multiple companies. Horribly inefficient
    as I said, though.. that is not what s actually happening.

The choice of hosting externally is 100% the decision of the modder themselves and has nothing to do with TTS, steam or the devs. If you want to make a mod and host it completely on steam's servers, or on google drive or dropbox, or as manual mod on ttsNexus then you can. There is nothing stopping people from doing that. It is just that some people choose to do it with external hosts. All the TTS devs have done is give the modders more options for hosting files to allow them freedom in their hosting choices and to also make sharing mods dynamic so you can connect to anyone and play instantly with out having version issues and missing mods

But again, just to be clear. It is the modders choice, not TTS to handle the hosting. You can host all the files on steam servers, or any site with a HTTP address, or even host full manual install mods.

Example... say I want to install Frostfall for Skyrim. I go to frostfall on skyrim nexus, I download the file, I unpack it and install it in the game directory, load the game and play. This is exactly how TTS works.. it is identical. Except the download is automated removing the need to manually install stuff.