Thread: Animated Custom Objects

Animated Custom Objects

I'm sorry if this has been asked about a million times but:

1. Can custom objects have animations?
    2. How are animations dealt with? Is it an OBJ sequence? I'm well versed in 3DS Max, so I just need a little nudge.
    3. If animations for custom objects can be done (or will be implemented in the future) I have a feature request: Please give us options to invoke multiple animations, for example, idle, when picked up, when knocked over, change states when clicked, and possibly react to proximity to another object.

I think that Tabletop Simulator might be a great way to prototype new games, but I also like the idea of taking a tabletop game beyond what would be possible in reality (such as animated figures). A game that I want to prototype would allow a figure to have three modes, and being able to animate the transition to these three modes would rock!

Thanks, and excellent work on the game!

Animated Custom Objects

Custom animations are currently not supported because I haven't found a good format for runtime importation, but I'm looking into it. An OBJ sequence would be quite large and not very efficient.

Animated Custom Objects

Oh yeah. OBJ sequence would be really silly, but since your current importer uses OBJ, and having not known if animation was already possible, it was my first guess.

How are animated assets created internally?

Also, FBX would be a good format perhaps? I know all the crazy new game engines (UE4, Crysis, Unity) use it. Having access to deformation animation would rock, but even just parented object movement would be a good start. I know in my case, the figures are machines, so I don't need deformation, but others probably do.

Thanks for the quick response though!

Animated Custom Objects

animare how?:
    animating 3d shapes are either key-frames of all vertex positions (it was done like that in the doom days when PCs were slower)
    OR
    by having a a skeleton, vertex positions are placed relative to other skeleton-vertexes, and these skeleton-vertexes have a tree-structure where each branch can be rotated or scaled, which also moves all linked child skelleton--vertexes, and the object vertex positions that are linked to them.
    only the skeleton-vertexes are keyframe-animated, and they are easily animated with hierarchies and smooth easing/tweening routines.

the skeleton-vertex positions are most easily (and more accurately) motion captured, since manual animation likely takes longer. but motion capturing equipment is more expensive, except that the kinect camera and a lot of webcam software can also motion-capture (less accurately).

Motion capturing spawned file formats such as .fbx and half life made that format VERY popular, and suddenly countless people started animating .fbx files for countless game mods.

--

.fbx format support could be a great start.

i think for compatibility, anything that is compatible with the half life or half life 2 (and all the other games that use .fbx) object format would be awesome, or at least easy to convert. it would enable to import all the models for garrysmod, of only garrysmd.org would still exist...

.fbx can be represented in binary or ASCII so you couls actually host a .fbx format on pastebin?

there is an .fbx specification for blender: http://code.blender.org/index.php/2013/08/fbx-binary-file-format-specification/

---

fbx support how to:
    the unity engine already supports the .fbx format: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-exportFBX.html
    so importing that file format into a unity game like TTS could be VERY easy!!!

--

any more excuses why we can not import animated objects?

Animated Custom Objects

Lol, there aren't any "excuses" you just don't understand how game engines work. Importing something at runtime is a whole other can of worms unlike in the editor.

Btw, there's a thing called civility, please try to respond in a less antagonistic way.

Animated Custom Objects

I want animated imports as much as the next guy, but Knil is right. Especially when it comes to Unity. Unity doesn't really have a path to import assets in-engine. What we have so far is a very clever trick.

While the Unity engine supports FBX, it doesn't support importing anything at runtime. It stores its assets in protected package files that (to my knowledge) need to be compiled within the editor.