Thread: Should CPU usage be this high? Fans constantly on on macbook pro

Should CPU usage be this high? Fans constantly on on macbook pro

installed Tabletop Simulator via Steam on OSX
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    2.2Ghz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 16 Gb

The fans are constantly on and at idol with no game loaded the cpu is constant around 60% at its best. Last night while playing 2 player onitama via 'multiplayer' it was fluctuating between 120% and 140%. The machine case was getting Very hot.

info attached:
    * ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
    * screenshots of 'top' showing process %

...... more similar previous ......

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at TouchScript.Gestures.LongPressGesture.set_Distance Limit (Single value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at TouchHandlerScript.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.

(Filename: Line: 481)

at TouchScript.Gestures.TapGesture.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithTy pe(Type)
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent()
    TouchHandlerScript:Awake()

at TouchScript.Gestures.TapGesture.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TouchScript.Gestures.LongPressGesture.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TouchScript.Gestures.Base.TransformGestureBase.upd ateMinScreenPointsDistance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at TouchScript.Gestures.Base.TransformGestureBase.OnE nable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at TouchScript.Gestures.TransformGesture.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TouchScript.Gestures.Base.TransformGestureBase.upd ateMinScreenPointsDistance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at TouchScript.Gestures.Base.TransformGestureBase.OnE nable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at TouchScript.Gestures.TransformGesture.OnEnable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at TouchScript.Gestures.LongPressGesture.set_Distance Limit (Single value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at TouchHandlerScript.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Setting up 4 worker threads for Enlighten.
    Thread -> id: 70000fe75000 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 70000fef8000 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 700010127000 -> priority: 1
    Thread -> id: 70001022d000 -> priority: 1
    at GizmoScript.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, to drag this up I'm having the same issue, 160% CPU usage, I'm on an 8 core i9 16" MacBook Pro. Didn't think it would be so heavy on this system, even with the graphics reduced!
    Did you get any fix for this?

Sadly no. I just started using a different machine to play it on. That was a linux desktop, so not as portable as the laptop. Haven't used tabletop much lately. Hope you find an solution.

I just saw the same consistent errors in the logs on my 15" Mid-2015 Macbook Pro.

TTS seems to use a Unity plugin called Touchscript to handle multitouch inputs. «https://github.com/TouchScript/TouchScript/»

Either that library has problems internally, or there's a bug with TTS's use of this library.

This is happening on my 2.6ghz 6core 2019 MBP as well. Sucks cause I have to mute when ever I'm not talking because the fans are so loud.

Has anyone figured out a solution to this? I am trying to play a game of magic with my brother and his brand new laptop is pegged at near 100% cpu. Windows 10.

Have this same problem. CPU is maxed out and game becomes very laggy. I am on Catalina 10.15.4. New MacBook Pro i9 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB. Please help.

Same problem here. This is a HUGE problem considering the current state of affairs (COVID-19) and everyone wanting to play boardgames on their macbooks.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX! I'd honestly use TTS much more if it was.

I'm on os 10.14.6 and not only do I have the fan issue, but (I assume) energy usage is so intense that my 2018 MacBook (i9, 2.9) won't charge; the battery just drains. This renders Tabletop Simulator unusable for longer sessions. My wife has contacted support but received no response. Is anyone else having this issue, or are you all just finding your laptops running hot?

This also happens to me, the only things that I have found to use third party apps for mac that reduce the cpu usage like:

- Turbo boost switcher - toggle boost switcher from macs - http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/
    - Apppolice - limit maximum cpu usage of specific apps like TTS - https://github.com/AppPolice/AppPolice
    - Macs fan control - this one is to put fans at full so your cpu doesn't go too hot (might actually not save battery) - https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

let me know if you find something we can do related to TTS specifically. On windows you can do something similar in power settings