Thread: Arc of fire important to many wargames

Lightbulb Arc of fire important to many wargames

If this is not already going to be included let me suggest why it should be. Currently we got a option to draw a line to see if corners are clipped or not, but the simulation could go so much further with this. Imagine how useful it would be in X-wing from FFG if you could check arc of fire with a button that would overlay a transparent red arc area across the board. Or say the fire arc from a game like Conflict of Heroes that has an arc on the counters as well.

In X-wing a straight edged arc is what is needed there. But what about games played on a hex grid. In those cases the arc is supposed to follow a string of hexes so you would get a jagged red arc that included only the hexes inside the arc.

In addition, the arc needs to be programmable to have a lockin type setting that would make it work for many games. In x-wing the colored and semi-transparent arc I envision would have to line up perfect to the lines on the counter. So a center of mass has to be defined for each piece so the vertex can precisely start there and follow a perfect fire arc.

And since I'm on the subject of X-wing, could the movement templates be designed to remove the fudge factor the physical board game suffers from. I would be great to have the templates have a snap to feature that didn't disturb the position of the ship. Again this suggestion could be useful in many other games as well. Like Battletech, Warmachine etc. In other words any miniatures tabletop game that does not use hexes or regions to specify position but rather free forms it.

Here is what I envision. To have this done automatically would be great. No more wasting time drawing LOS lines. xwing2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Heck if range lines could be added to the arc as well players would never need to measure for distance either. In one button press a player could see if it's in arc and whether its short, medium, or long range.

This idea here is really one of the hugest wishes I ever had while playing a mini game. If only the play mat was AI smart enough to show you distance and LOS questions you have it would make playing these mini games in real life so much easier. Well we are many years away from having smart surfaces like this, but this engine can do the exact thing all the mini community wished could be auto generated. This would be huge for Battletech, Warmachine, X-wing etc, you name it.

good idea! i like it!