Thread: What I need to progress in making more interesting board games

What I need to progress in making more interesting board games

Hello everyone,

I am the maker of the board game called 'RPG WarGame' which is now in v0.4

Since I have TableTop, I tried to make some custom games designs, and I must admit that I have been thrilled by the potential so far.

I started by designing very basic gaming arenas on an empty table, and finished by designing full board layout along with a 64 events cards deck. Now, the game I designed is solid in gameplay, people enjoy it, and in short: it works.

But, as much as I want to improve, I can't for the moment. I feel like I already pushed the content to the maximum of what I could use it for in my current game, and want to develop more different board games.

Here is what I need, on my side, to make future versions of my board games:

+ a way to scale the table and change the table material color

+ a way to design a specific x*y pixels board, with the board adjusting to the size of my picture, and not the picture adjusting the size of the board, with a default board template so we can know better how to scale it. This is important, because I need to extend the board size to 4 times what it is, so it can take in more content.

+ a way to add 'counters' to any item. For example, in my current game, we use HP. HP is represented by small colored pawns that we move along with the pieces on the board. It's sometimes messy, confusing and with current aim, they are hard to pick up. It would be great if HP was integrated straight onto the figurine, and also if we could add more counters, like MP or VIT, STR, INT, etc. [url=https://showbox.bio]showbox.bio/[/url] [url=https://tutuapp.uno/]tutuapp.uno/[/url] [url=https://vidmate.vet/]vidmate.vet/[/url]

+ Must-have RPG figurines: a king, a knight, a wizard, a dwarf, an archer, a thief, a bard, etc. In short: HEROES figurines, all with their female counterparts.

+ A way to colorize RPG figurines, and anything else in general. It could also be a colored flag sticking up on top of an item.

+ An electronic dice. Instead of rolling it, you just press a button. I know it feels cheap, but we could specify the range of the random numbers, and THAT, sir, opens new opportunities as well as help balancing games. For example, in the game I designed there is a balance in probabilities which is mathematically thought out, but the current dices do not allow to fine-tune the stats and balance the gameplay even more. We could also input ranges of large numbers, such as for designating cash or anything else...

+ A chronometer. Because why not.

+ A rewrite of the Notepad system. It is ugly, is limited, and annoying. We also need something to write the rules. I wrote my rules straight on the board I designed, and it somehow does the job. But we need a proper rules notepad to set things in stone so players can learn.

+ A free-cam mode (that would prevent viewing other peoples cards) For now we are using the large poker table, as it has containers and space to roll dices and throw items away. But players have their camera pushed away very far from the board, and need to refocus with middle mouse click.

Honestly, that is all I can think about as urgent matter for now. For what is in my concern, if I had this, I think I could probably push tons more board games, along with providing more updates for the ones I already have..
    Last edited by Jhonmikcy; 10-02-2019 at 03:01 PM.

> + a way to scale the table and change the table material color

I just created a big board over a table and then moved the player hands. While there probably are scripts to move the hand areas, I just edited the save game file to move them.

> + a way to design a specific x*y pixels board, with the board adjusting to the size of my picture, and not the picture adjusting the size of the board, with a default board template so we can know better how to scale it.

If using Board scales the picture to the board, try using a token instead. If that fails, use either and then edit the save game files. The TTS GUI allows scaling up and down (for all sides at once) but the save game files actually has individual scaling for each dimension, so you can set exact scaling for each side. Another solution is to import a model that is exactly the size that you want.

> + a way to add 'counters' to any item

I did that in my game. Create the digits 0 to 9, select them all, right click and use the create states option. Now you have a single digit counter that can go from 0 to 9. Combine multiple to get multi digit counters. Optionally you can add scripting to control the counters (otherwise you just right click the digit and select one of the States to set the counter).

> + Must-have RPG figurines: a king, a knight, a wizard, a dwarf, an archer, a thief, a bard, etc. In short: HEROES figurines, all with their female counterparts.

If you want just static figures then it is easy. Get the OBJ files from the internet and the use Objects | Custom | Model to import them. If you want animated then you will need to download Unity but it isn't too hard. I made a step by step tutorial on how to do this using free Mixamo characters. Link: [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3T10OfABGU&t=444s[/url]

>+ An electronic dice. Instead of rolling it, you just press a button.

Easily done. You can have a script that either rolls the die or you can have a script that generates a random number. I have a free TTS RPG Framework which rolls dice based on clicks and adds specified modifiers. Link: [url]https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1838539309[/url]

> + A chronometer. Because why not.

I believe that the latest version of TTS has a clock/timer objects that can be scripted.

> + A free-cam mode (that would prevent viewing other peoples cards)

The RPG Framework (noted above) also features buttons that allow the user to quickly change views. There are a few preset locations and there is a button which automatically sets the view to a "over the shoulder" view of the player's character. This allows quick switching between areas of game play. Unfortunately TTS currently does not support a scripted save camera. So moving the camera can only be done to preset locations or locations based on something else (like a figure).