Thread: Few general questions

Few general questions

Hello everyone,,

I am thinking to use TTS in prototyping a boardgame. I have few things that I would like to know before making my decision.

1. Is it possible to get automatic hitpoint, damage and ammunition calculation.

2. If damage calculation is possible, is it possible to do so that damage will be calculated based on ammution, weapon and user combination (info comes from three different card)?
    snaptube.cam/ syncnet.onl/telegram-web/

3. Is it possible to make randomized maps (6 map tiles selected from 8 different tiles), which will determine the main goal of the game?

4. Is it possible to make combat happen in different board (when combat occurs, it will jump to smaller combat board)?

5. Is it possible to get range calculation and movement rules based on drawn cards?

6. Card effects. Are those possible to get by scripting etc?
    Last edited by Maddy; 11-12-2019 at 07:00 PM.

While it's not native functionality, scripting allows you to do all of those quite comfortably.

https://api.tabletopsimulator.com/

> 1. Is it possible to get automatic hitpoint, damage and ammunition calculation.

This question is very vague. As was mentioned there are many things that can be achieved via scripting but it all depends on the "automatic" conditions. TTS needs to be able to recognize the event under which you want such "automatic" adjustments. For example, it is possible to adjust such properties when certain cards are played, certain buttons are pressed, dice are rolled, objects are placed in certain areas, etc.

> 2. If damage calculation is possible, is it possible to do so that damage will be calculated based on ammution, weapon and user combination (info comes from three different card)?

Yes. As long as the different cards can be identified (i.e. which to use) and their properties can be identified (i.e. what type of ammunition, weapon, etc it is) then you can easily do damaged based on that.

> 3. Is it possible to make randomized maps (6 map tiles selected from 8 different tiles), which will determine the main goal of the game?

Yes. Take tiles, arrange in a deck, shuffle deck, draw 6 tiles. You can even add in randomization for orientation if that is important.

> 4. Is it possible to make combat happen in different board (when combat occurs, it will jump to smaller combat board)?

While TTS starts with one table it is fairly easy to add additional tables. In my RPG framework, I have a main (oversized) table in the center but each player has a side table behind them for spell card selection. You can add another table where your combat can take place.

> 5. Is it possible to get range calculation and movement rules based on drawn cards?

Once again as long as the movement card can be identified and its value identified then that is not a problem. However this could be a little tricky. TTS has events to detect when you pick up an object and drop an object. However, you will need some way to determine the start and end of a move. During this time, a script can easily calculate the distance but, once again, it could be tricky if you want to calculate the distance of a route (i.e. walk 3 north, turn east, wask 2 east, turn south, walk 3 south) as opposed to a birds eye view distance. Preventing a player from exceeding the distance could also be tricky (as opposed to letting the player do it and then undoing it). You'd need to be more specific in order for others to be able to tell you how easy or hard it would be.

> 6. Card effects. Are those possible to get by scripting etc?

Again, recognizing what effect the card says is easy but implementing the card effect obviously depends on what the effect is. It is trivial to make and recognize a card that says "All players must disconnect from the game now" but making such an card effect happen would be very difficult. If on the other hand the card effect is "miss a turn", that would be doable.