Thread: Tabletop Simulator Review - Prove me wrong...

Angry Tabletop Simulator Review - Prove me wrong...

Tabletop Simulator review.

200 hours spent on, but NOT playing this Tabletop Simulator game. I spent $66CAD on a game that we have not played a complete game once. 200+ hours I put in to this with no results.

The Bad:
    - The interface is poor and hard to master. Players would quit after 2 turns frustrated trying to use the interface.
    - The Tabletop Simulator gaming community is very unfriendly.
    - Tried pubic games only to get knocked/kicked off or cannot connect at all.
    - Cannot get any help.
    - Even the 3 promotional videos on Steam are about flipping the game table or fling game pieces, very little on game play.
    - Physics does not belong in a boardgame. I wish the developers spent more time making playable games.

The Good:
    - It looks pretty.
    - Has some of my favorite boardgames (all unplayable though).

In conclusion: $66 was stolen from me and 200+hours where lost for ever….

Prove me wrong.
    Last edited by electronicdad; 06-27-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Now that you have gotten your feelings out, lets talk!

What kind of help do you need? Overboard games produced a second set of videos to introduce some additional features you may be interested in.
    I personally have a group of friends with whom I play regularly. We play some of the DLC games, and a few games I have made using materials I found in the Steam workshop.
    I have invested well over 600 hours to create games, and am rewarded with many times that in games played. I have also spent many hours responding to questions here and on
    the official tabletop simulator discord. there are quite a few others there who are also very helpful. the discord is at https://discord.com/invite/tabletopsimulator
    So you seem to be angry, and I can understand that from your explanation. It does take some time to learn how to use the game, and there are quirks and problems with some aspects of the game.
    Particularly, the workshop entries often have missing or corrupted elements due to the ever changing web environment. It does take some patience to work around these issues.
    So back to my first question: what specifically do you need help with?

I would agree that any game that is unscripted is unplayable on TTS.
    A well scripted game though, is very playable on TTS.
    You should only play well scripted games.
    Don't wast your time on unscripted games.

Quote Originally Posted by cche View Post
    What kind of help do you need? Overboard games produced a second set of videos to introduce some additional features you may be interested in.
    I personally have a group of friends with whom I play regularly. We play some of the DLC games, and a few games I have made using materials I found in the Steam workshop.
    I have invested well over 600 hours to create games, and am rewarded with many times that in games played. I have also spent many hours responding to questions here and on
    the official tabletop simulator discord. there are quite a few others there who are also very helpful. the discord is at https://discord.com/invite/tabletopsimulator
    So you seem to be angry, and I can understand that from your explanation. It does take some time to learn how to use the game, and there are quirks and problems with some aspects of the game.
    Particularly, the workshop entries often have missing or corrupted elements due to the ever changing web environment. It does take some patience to work around these issues.
    So back to my first question: what specifically do you need help with?
    I Searched for Overboard Games on my tablet and found 20 videos on face to face gamers playing boardgames (which I will most likely watch later as I do like boardgames). Nothing on Tabletop Simulator videos.

I will try the Discord chat...

The Help list would be long (I will try discord first)....

Are DLC games better (functional)?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ajkiger1 View Post
    I would agree that any game that is unscripted is unplayable on TTS.
    A well scripted game though, is very playable on TTS.
    You should only play well scripted games.
    Don't wast your time on unscripted games.
    What is a "well scripted game"? Can you give an example? (thanks)

Hey man, I definitely understand the frustration of purchasing a product and feeling like they ran off with your money. I hope I can at least shed a little light on to some of the issues and perhaps convince you to give it another go.

First up, I just briefly talk about the interface, if you've indeed spent 200 hours in TTS then you are probably very familiar with it by now but if you aren't there are wonderful tutorials on how to do everything here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNw52Xh4Rwo&list=PLA16SF2eexlUtH2AM4V8VF9r DpekW2uYA&index=2

That link contains a youtube playlist with a bunch of useful videos but the video linked in particular is the basic controls and the next one in the playlist contains the advanced controls which I found VERY useful. I suggest giving both a watch and practicing all the moves for yourself in a private game until you feel comfy with it.

However, the controls are always going to be slightly awkward you're trying to manipulate a bunch of highly simulated objects with nothing more than basically a stick, if you think about it. A mouse gives you one point to tap, touch, manipulate or grab things by, not a lot to work with unless you're using it in VR which most people are not. So while the controls may not be perfect, I think they've definitely done the best they could with what they were given.

Next up, the community is unfriendly, this is probably true of most communities, I haven't interacted with most of the TTS community yet but if it's anything like most actual boardgame communities that I know in real life, they can range from friend, to stuck up, to annoyingly too friendly and everything in between. It might take some time to find a good group for whatever it is you're looking for but the few times I have joined public games have been nice and friendly experiences. It helps a lot to have voice chat enabled and be able to talk to the people in the room! Intentions are a lot easier to read via voice than text alone.

Also when searching games be sure to check the box that hides games that are locked, will make finding games a lot easier.

As for not getting any help, well here we are in the forum doing out best, I say we as the community not as any private entity, but as was mentioned the discord is also pretty active and helpful.

The steam videos aren't a great indicator of the game's potential, I'll give ya that one for sure.

The Physics can be turned off in the menu or even adjusted to be only slight or full on. There's lots of settings for customizing all sorts of things, from detailing how you want to play your game, to changing the world it's played in, down to making sure people can't flip the table or draw obscenities on it. Again, that takes some learning and just trial and error of stuff in the menus.

At the end of the day, TTS is definitely just a big sandbox, you're going to get out of it whatever you put in to it, sometimes less, sometimes more. It also helps to play with a deluxe tonka dump truck instead of a little red hotwheels fire engine truck. Finding mods can be a pain, but most of the paid dlc is pretty well made from what I've heard and I've played lots of good community scripted games.

200 hours is a lot more than I've put in to it and I've already felt I've gotten my monies worth, perhaps the program just isn't your cup of tea, but I definitely don't think you wasted the money at all. With nearly 37 THOUSAND simultaneous players during the highest peak in April and a solid 5-13k average concurrent players since then, there's definitely a lot of people out there who do not feel robbed.