Thread: Berserk's stance on unapproved mods of retail games?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Berserk's stance on unapproved mods of retail games?

This topic seems to be popping up on BoardGameGeek a lot so I was wondering if I could get the TTS team's stance on this, in order to shine some light on the subject. I've searched high and low but if I've missed anything please let me know.

First of all, I've seen some reports of mods being removed from the Steam workshop (BoardGameGeek, Discord, this forum: https://forums.tabletopsimulator.com/showthread.php?8752-My-game-was-removed-from-Steam-why). Does the TTS team ever do this? If yes, what prompts them to take this action? Does the game's publisher contact them?

Secondly, the TTS workshop contains a lot of retail games, and I assume not all of these have the publisher's approval. Why doesn't the TTS team actively remove these? I'm not asking whether they should or not, I'm asking why they, in practice, do not do it. Is it because the Steam Subscriber Agreement and the TTS EULA already make modders responsible for the legality of mods? Is it because it's simply not practically feasible to keep mods without publisher approval off the workshop?

I'd like some proper, factual, ammunition for future discussions on this subject, as people often attack Berserk Games for 'condoning' piracy, when I think it's probably much more nuanced than that.

steam takes downs are done by steam.. not Beserk. Any game dev and ask for the pirated assets to be removed if they want and steam will always agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    steam takes downs are done by steam.. not Beserk. Any game dev and ask for the pirated assets to be removed if they want and steam will always agree.
    Game dev as in the boardgame's original developer or as in Berserk? Also, what is your source, if I may ask?

It also doesn't really illuminate what Berserk's own stance is - only they can expound that. They must know there are iffy mods on the workshop and I'm wondering what their own thoughts are on that. I don't want to make any assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_sr View Post
    Game dev as in the boardgame's original developer
    The boardgame publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_sr View Post
    It also doesn't really illuminate what Berserk's own stance is - only they can expound that. They must know there are iffy mods on the workshop and I'm wondering what their own thoughts are on that.
    Yes they know that there are iffy and even mods that are banned by publishers. It is not their problem. They provide a "tool" and the "tool" can be used legitimacy. It is not their problem if people choose to use it illegally... BUT they know what the deal is. If you post links to mods on this forum for example they will delete it, sometimes even asking about copywrite stuff on here will get the thread deleted. As they need to keep the company "clean". This is why people talk on reddit and steam and general discords more freely, as it is not officially bererks responsibility.

DigitalTableTop apps have been a murky topic from day one. Over the last 30 years these apps have been around there are always strong arguments as to why publishers should embrace them and to why they are really bad. Do not be fooled though. ANY mod, any time you scan someones work and play it for free or release it so others can use it for free IS piracy. You are copying someone else's work, their art, their game. It is up to you as a person of conscience to decide what that means to you.

As far as Bersek is concerned... they just keep separate from that part. They build the sandbox and release licensed dlc.. that is the end of their involvement. Take downs and stuff that happen on steam is done by steam itself when it is asked. Asmodee for example is proactive removing content now and then. Though there are plently of non-steam places, like modder discords that have banned mods and many of the best mods are never on steam at all.